Re: [exim] switching mail servers

Author: Jonathan Addleman
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] switching mail servers
Ian P. Christian wrote:
> Jonathan Addleman wrote:
>> Can anyone suggest some documentation relating to moving a running exim
>> installation to a new server? I have a system already in place on one
>> machine, but I'm in the process of moving everything over to another
>> one. Currently, mail is received locally for a number of users who
>> generally access it via imap. (mail stored in ~/Maildir).
>
> No low TTL on the MX is needed, and if you want, you can use 'perdition'
> to do away with the low TTL on the imap addr.
>
> First, I would set hold_domains.
>
> I would add a router to the current one to deliver all mail to the new one.
>
> I would tell users imap would be unavailable for a sort period.
>
> move mailboxes, test nw sesrver, unhold domains, update MX.

Move is completed, and looks like it all went smoothly. I basically did
what you suggested here, with a few tweaks:

- hold domains
- synced mailboxes
- updated dns
- then on the old machine, switch the 'local domains' to 'relay domains'
- took off the hold, so that it just delivered all those messages to the
new server.

And now everyone can enjoy the extra bandwidth on the new server! hanks
for the help.
--
Jon-o Addleman - http://www.redowl.ca