Re: [exim] switching mail servers

Author: Ian P. Christian
To: Jonathan Addleman
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] switching mail servers
Jonathan Addleman wrote:
> Can anyone suggest some documentation relating to moving a running exim
> installation to a new server? I have a system already in place on one
> machine, but I'm in the process of moving everything over to another
> one. Currently, mail is received locally for a number of users who
> generally access it via imap. (mail stored in ~/Maildir).

No low TTL on the MX is needed, and if you want, you can use 'perdition'
to do away with the low TTL on the imap addr.

First, I would set hold_domains.

I would add a router to the current one to deliver all mail to the new one.

I would tell users imap would be unavailable for a sort period.

move mailboxes, test nw sesrver, unhold domains, update MX.