Re: [exim] Odd hostname found in logs.

Author: Andrew - Supernews
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Odd hostname found in logs.
>>>>> "Wakko" == Wakko Warner <wakko@???> writes:

Wakko> As it is to me as well, I posted this for comments about the
Wakko> name that was returned. I thought that ( ) and # weren't
Wakko> allowed in hostnames.

They're not, but they _are_ allowed in DNS labels (pretty much
everything, including . and \0, is allowed in DNS labels). Nothing in
DNS itself prevents you using arbitrary octets in the values of
records such as PTR whose values are label strings.

The concept of whether something is or is not valid as a "hostname" is
enforced only at higher levels than the DNS protocol itself (though
some DNS servers, but by no means all, have tried to "helpfully"
enforce such rules by applying them to the names or values of specific
record types).

--
Andrew, Supernews
http://www.supernews.com