Re: [exim] Odd hostname found in logs.

Author: Andrew - Supernews
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Odd hostname found in logs.
>>>>> "Wakko" == Wakko Warner <wakko@???> writes:

Wakko> 2007-10-07 21:17:30 no IP address found for host
Wakko> spam.complaints.(888)292-3827.alltel.senior.support.ticket#2-940727661
Wakko> (during SMTP connection from [216.96.39.144] I=[<removed>]:25)

Wakko> Has anyone seen entries like this before?

Of course, though the particular text in that one (which is from the
PTR record for 216.96.39.144) seems a little bit unusual.

All it's telling you is that the PTR record for that IP didn't resolve
back to an IP address.

Wakko> (I did remove my local host's IP from the line above. I'm not
Wakko> asking for support, just asking if anyone else has any similar
Wakko> entry)

Plenty of spam attempts in my log from that IP, which is also listed in
CBL (and hence Spamhaus XBL and Zen), Spamcop and PSBL. It's clearly
infected with the Storm malware and sending spam in large quantities
(and has been doing so for at least several days).

What Alltel or whoever think they're trying to achieve with that rDNS
entry is a complete mystery to me, though.

--
Andrew, Supernews
http://www.supernews.com