Re: [exim] block domain SPF with v=spf1 +all

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: Peter Bowyer, exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] block domain SPF with v=spf1 +all

--On 17 September 2007 09:00:05 +0100 Peter Bowyer <peter@???> wrote:

> Better rethink your use of SPF. The simple fact of an SPF PASS,
> whether or not the domain publishes +all, doesn't indicate anything
> about the spamminess of a message. All it does is confirm that the
> message came from the domain it claims to have come from.

Not even that. It confirms that it comes from a host IP address which is
permitted to send messages from the domain. It's still possible that the
host has abused its authority.

Anyway, the poster has determined, I presume, that he doesn't want email
from domains that publish SPF records with +all. I expect that's because:
    (a) there's no reason to do that,
    (b) it's irresponsible for a domain to claim that it has control over
all hosts - they should say ~all at worst
    (c) it's an empirical fact that email from domains advertising +all is
predominantly unwanted.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex