Re: [exim] HELO/EHLO reject rates

Author: Phil \(Medway Hosting\)
To: Exim Users List
Subject: Re: [exim] HELO/EHLO reject rates

----- Original Message -----
From: "Darton Williams" <dartonw@???>
To: "Exim Users" <exim-users@???>
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2007 6:02 AM

> I agree, no rDNS would be a good rejection criterion if we could
> assume everyone was following the standards,

I hard block for no or generic rDNS and on HELO's that do not appear to be a
valid domain name, on my "company" server and set SA scoring VERY high on
"customer" servers (so it can be easily adjusted down on a per domain
basis), but I often take the time and trouble to call the sender if I am
notified of a "FP" (badly set up servers). Most often they are very grateful
for the information as they often have had problems sending to other people
as well. I recently had to contact PAYPAL about it !!! If more of us did the
same, it would not take long for legit servers with no rDNS to be a thing of
the past.

> but I believe the
> business reality prevents most of us from rejecting on that basis.

Why ? Should we accept forged headers if its from a legit business ? Should
we accept legit emails from known long term spam sources ? Should we accept
mail from servers that break all the RFC's ? If we all rejected all bad
mail, legit or spam, the "legit" servers would be forced to fix their bugs.
AOL now block based on rDNS - all credit to them. The real problem is that
not many of us are willing to make the stand.

All the best

Phil

Website Hosting from only £5.00 per month.
www.medwayhosting.com - +44 (0)1634 856965

Digital & Traditional Printing, and much more
www.medwayprint.com - +44 (0)1634 281199