Re: [exim] karmasphere.com

Author: Peter Bowyer
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] karmasphere.com
On 17/09/2007, Marc Perkel <marc@???> wrote:

> Ted Cooper wrote:
> > Marc Perkel wrote:

> >> This looks like an interesting list. Are you using it? How well does it
> >> work?
> >>

> > I had a quick look at it after Peter mentioned it. It didn't seem to
> > have the speed of update of an RBL like zen.spamhaus.org as bad hosts
> > took at least 4-6 hours to make it to either a neutral or bad
> > reputation. It may just be missing users, or not up to scratch yet.
> > It looks quite interesting for syndicating a RBL feed, I just can't
> > figure out their business or pricing model. Is it free? Karma based?
> > Free to private use but not commercial? Not a very clear website. I
> > wouldn't mind putting my DNS blocklist up on it so long as I could use
> > it for free :P
> >
> > Mark: Do you get the spamhaus.org syndicated feed at all?
> >

> I use the abusenet RBL mostly and my own lists. After reading the site I
> too was confused. It looks like an interesting idea. I don't know what
> there are using a custom module to communicate with it rather than just
> using DNS. But it has my attention. I'm always looking for a new trick
> to get rid of spam.

One of its interfaces mimics a DNSBL, and you can use karmasphere
feedsets via Exim's (and many other) DNSBL functionality. But as is
explained on the website, the DNSBL interface can only return yes/no
indications, not scores. If you use the alternative karmad perl
interface, you get scores between -1000 and +1000 for each query. You
can connect to karmad via Exim's readsocket functionality.

Also note that karmasphere's real trick is to combine any or all of
its reputation sources into one custom feedset that meets your
requirements.

I'm running in 'log and monitor' mode at the moment with karmasphere,
and when I get some time I'll analyse what's going on. But it's
looking interesting.

Peter

--
Peter Bowyer