Re: [exim] karmasphere.com

Author: Marc Perkel
To: exim-users@exim.org >> \"'exim-users@exim.org'\"
Subject: Re: [exim] karmasphere.com

Peter Bowyer wrote:
> On 17/09/2007, Marc Perkel <marc@???> wrote:
>
>> Ted Cooper wrote:

>>> I had a quick look at it after Peter mentioned it. It didn't seem to
>>> have the speed of update of an RBL like zen.spamhaus.org as bad hosts
>>> took at least 4-6 hours to make it to either a neutral or bad
>>> reputation. It may just be missing users, or not up to scratch yet.
>>> It looks quite interesting for syndicating a RBL feed, I just can't
>>> figure out their business or pricing model. Is it free? Karma based?
>>> Free to private use but not commercial? Not a very clear website. I
>>> wouldn't mind putting my DNS blocklist up on it so long as I could use
>>> it for free :P
>>>
>>> Mark: Do you get the spamhaus.org syndicated feed at all?
>>>

>> I use the abusenet RBL mostly and my own lists. After reading the site I
>> too was confused. It looks like an interesting idea. I don't know what
>> there are using a custom module to communicate with it rather than just
>> using DNS. But it has my attention. I'm always looking for a new trick
>> to get rid of spam.
>>

> One of its interfaces mimics a DNSBL, and you can use karmasphere
> feedsets via Exim's (and many other) DNSBL functionality. But as is
> explained on the website, the DNSBL interface can only return yes/no
> indications, not scores. If you use the alternative karmad perl
> interface, you get scores between -1000 and +1000 for each query. You
> can connect to karmad via Exim's readsocket functionality.
>
> Also note that karmasphere's real trick is to combine any or all of
> its reputation sources into one custom feedset that meets your
> requirements.
>
> I'm running in 'log and monitor' mode at the moment with karmasphere,
> and when I get some time I'll analyse what's going on. But it's
> looking interesting.
>
> Peter

It seems to me that you could return a score if you wanted to. DNS can
giver you 4 billion different responses that could be construed as scores.

Although they don't say it's a pay to play site when you try to sign up
they want a lot of information about you. more than you would ask for if
it were free.