Re: [exim] Dimensioning a server

Author: Charlie Clark
To: Leonardo Boselli
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Dimensioning a server

Am 12.09.2007 um 09:35 schrieb Leonardo Boselli:

> At present Ihave a P4 with 1 GB.
> I receive about 40000 messages/day for about 110 users
> besid exim has acteve also pop and imap server, as well squirrelmail.
> e-mail processed whit clamd and spamd
> Often is " suffering" and reply SMTP 451 errors due overload, or
> have slow
> these
> time)
> What is the kind of machine i should think about to replace it ?

I would have thought any off-the-shelf server would do. 40,000
messages a day is one message every two seconds on average so your
system should be able to cope with that. However, if you don't have
enough spamd or clamd processes then your server can lock quite
quickly. Tuning your system is often more important than raw power.

Charlie

--
Charlie Clark
Helmholtzstr. 20