Re: [exim] Verifying rcpt exists before greylisting

Author: John W. Baxter
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Verifying rcpt exists before greylisting
On 9/2/07 2:31 PM, "Peet Grobler" <peet@???> wrote:

> New to the list - just subscribed. I need some serious advice.

Others have addressed the mechanics of the thing. I wanted to comment on
the sequence given in the subject.

There's a tradeoff here: if you greylist first, including the invalid
recipients, you avoid letting the greylist-failing bots and one-shot
deliberate harvesters harvest valid addresses. You also increase the
greylisting load.

We elected, perhaps wrongly, to greylist before looking at recipient
validity. (But after public and local RBLs.)

--John