Re: [exim] Exim Timeout.. Mail Queue Backed Up.

Author: Dave Evans
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim Timeout.. Mail Queue Backed Up.
On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 11:46:54AM -0700, Andrew Rosolino wrote:

> Ok we have a serious problem.. there is over 9,000 messages in the mail queue
> and a lot of them are over 4 days old!! I dont understand why there is
> messages over 4days in it because we have it set up like so.
>
> delay_warning = 100d
> queue_run_max = 15
> deliver_queue_load_max = 5
> auto_thaw = 1d
> ignore_bounce_errors_after = 2d
> timeout_frozen_after = 3d

If you want to throw away messages sooner, you need change your retry rules:
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch32.html

> So it tried to send the message for 5 minutes and then timedout and kept the
> message on the list? I am assuming it keeps trying to process these messages
> and wasteing 5 minutes on each one.. why doesnt it just delete them if they
> timeout.

Failure to connect is a temporary error, not a permanent error. You'd be
upset if your legitimate email was deleted after the first delivery attempt,
just because it couldn't connect at that time.

> Or how can I make it timeout after 1 minute instead of 5.

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch30.html#SECID146
but I really don't recommend changing it.

Maybe a better approach would be to work out why you've got so many messages
in the queue in the first place. Maybe
http://wiki.exim.org/FAQ/Policy_controls/Q0744 will help you?

--
Dave Evans
Power Internet Limited, registered in England #03053650 at Norfolk House,