Re: [exim] retry question

Author: cjackson
To: Exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] retry question
Ian Eiloart wrote:

> --On 10 August 2007 11:07:17 -0500 cjackson <cjackson@???>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am having a very difficult time sending email to att.net with the
>> default Exim 4.62 configuration. Att.net gives me 450 Busy Retry error
>> on almost all email I send to them right after the connection attempt. I
>> notice that if I manually resend using exim -M <emailid> many times,
>> like once every second for 30 seconds, the email usually goes. What
>> configuration should I try in the configure file to make this happen? I
>> tried this but it doesn't work.
>>
>> att.net rcpt_450 F,1m,1s
>
> If they're busy, then it's not a good time to be hammering away at their
> server like this - you'll just make the situation worse. Have patience,
> and apply your usual retry rules.

Ordinarily, I'd agree with you. But their servers are _always_ too busy.
So that won't work. Exim gives up and won't retry ever -- so 450 becomes
essentially an immediate permanent error.

I have been speaking with a qualified person at Bellsouth who has
informed me that certain IP blocks that ATT has identified as sources of
spam are "throttled". The blocks of course are DSL/DHCP addresses, plus
others lumped in there because it makes their lives easier at ATT.
Unfortunately, I'm in one of the other blocks that is static, so I get
the 450 treatment. I have no choice but to resend. It's sort like a
greylist, I guess.