Re: [exim] retry question

Author: postmaster
To: Exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] retry question
Ian Eiloart wrote:

> --On 10 August 2007 11:07:17 -0500 cjackson <cjackson@???>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am having a very difficult time sending email to att.net with the
>> default Exim 4.62 configuration. Att.net gives me 450 Busy Retry error
>> on almost all email I send to them right after the connection attempt. I
>> notice that if I manually resend using exim -M <emailid> many times,
>> like once every second for 30 seconds, the email usually goes. What
>> configuration should I try in the configure file to make this happen? I
>> tried this but it doesn't work.
>>
>> att.net rcpt_450 F,1m,1s
>
> If they're busy, then it's not a good time to be hammering away at their
> server like this - you'll just make the situation worse. Have patience,
> and apply your usual retry rules.

Ordinarily, I'd agree. But first their servers are _always_ too busy. So
that won't work. Exim gives up and won't retry ever -- so 450 becomes
essentially a permanent error.

I have been speaking with a qualified person at Bellsouth who has
informed me that certain IP blocks that ATT has identified as sources of
spam are throttled. The blocks of course are DHCP addresses, plus others
lumped in there because it makes their lives easier at ATT.
Unfortunately, I'm in one of the other blocks that is static, so I get
the 450 treatment. I have no choice but to resend. It's sort like a
greylist, I guess.