[exim] Backup email server

Autor: Jeroen van Aart
A: exim-users
Assumptes vells: [exim] high availability mailboxes... ?
Assumpte: [exim] Backup email server
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can point me to information how to set up a
backup email server. In such a way that if the main server is down one
can switch to the backup with no to minimal loss of email (connectivity).

I am thinking of a solution where if one server goes down (say an hd
crash) the other server is used automatically. You could create a dns
entry to randomly use one or the other IP, and mirror both systems. The
central problem I believe is how to keep data like mailboxes in sync
between 2 or more servers. If you'd use an NFS mounted server you create
NFS related problems and an additional problem, of the NFS server
possibly going down.

(apologies for sending this mistakingly to a single person)

Thank you,
Jeroen