Re: [exim] Backup email server

Autor: POLONKAI Gergely
A: Jeroen van Aart
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Backup email server
Hello,

In our setup, we have a database on the master server, which is
continously replicated to the backup. When the master fails for any
reason (network error, hw crash, anything), mail is sent to the lower
priority backup (master has priority of 10, backup is 20). When a mail
arrives on the backup server, it checks the recipient against the
replicated database, and if it exists, it tries to send the mail to the
master server (smarthost). As the master is unreachable, it will keep
trying for a few days. This way if we fail to correct the problem with
the master, the mail will be lost, but we can react fast, so this has no
chance with this large retry time on the backup (10 days if I recall
well).

Regards,
Gergely POLONKAI