[exim] Exim strips local suffix from mailman requests when u…

Author: Roger Lipscombe
To: exim-users
New-Topics: Re: [exim] Exim strips local suffix from mailman requests when using virtual domains on Debian Etch (SOLVED)
Subject: [exim] Exim strips local suffix from mailman requests when using virtual domains on Debian Etch
Hi,

I'm having trouble getting mailman to work correctly on my exim
installation. I'm new to both, unfortunately (I was previously using
qmail and ezmlm). I'm using the Debian/Etch packages for exim 4.63-17
and mailman 2.1.9-7.

Essentially, my problem is that mails to list-join@??? are being
treated as mails to list@???, and the messages are being held for
approval as if they were normal posts from non-subscribers.

I've got vdom_aliases and vdom_aliases_suffix routers configured, as
described in one of the follow-up comments on this page:
http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/140. I need this, because
I want all "user-suffix@???" emails to be sent to
user@???, as they were under qmail.

I've also followed the instructions in Debian's
/usr/share/doc/mailman/README.Exim4.Debian file, giving me
mailman_router, mailman_workaround and mailman_transport.

I've tried searching google and the exim and mailman mailing lists for a
hint, but my search-fu is obviously weak today.

The /etc/exim4/virtual/domain.org file contains the following line
(among others):
list: list@???

Is this what's causing the problem? Do I need to list all possible
variants of mailman suffixes in this file? How do I cope with VERP and
bounces? Without this alias, none of the list email gets delivered.

In short, what have I missed in my exim configuration that'll preserve
the full address until mailman gets to see it?

Note that I'm not particularly bothered about the fact that mailman
can't have same-named lists on different virtual domains.

Regards,
Roger.