Re: [pcre-dev] coff file info and data

Author: Bob Rossi
To: Sheri
CC: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] coff file info and data
On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 03:24:18PM -0400, Sheri wrote:
> Philip Hazel wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 Apr 2007, Bob Rossi wrote:
> >

> >> Yes, that is correct. There are 2 known issues from Sheri. Getting a dll
> >> with the name pcre.dll and running the test suite on mingw. As you said,
> >> we should be able to get both of those to work, but there doesn't seem
> >> to be a reason to hold up the release for it.
> >>

> > OK, I've done it. I've put out a 7.1 release. We can now move forward
> > from there.
> >
> > ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/programming/pcre/pcre-7.1.tar.gz
> > ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/programming/pcre/pcre-7.1.tar.bz2
> > ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/programming/pcre/pcre-7.1.zip
> >
> > Philip
> >

> Looking good, a few observations...
>
> RunTest.bat has test3 rem'ed out. No wonder when I run it, only results
> with no differences get shown! Test3 would have all those French locale
> differences. Built 7.1 with default newline-is-anycrlf. All seems well.
> There is no def file in the distribution. That may cause some
> consternation for Windows users. Hopefully more Windows users will find
> their way to the list since it is mentioned in the README. NEWS says
> there was previously only one shared library built for Windows. That's
> not true, there were three. It's just that before they were linked
> differently and each of them could function independently.
>
> As planned, I used those added commands to get a pcre.dll like the old
> one (plus coff).

Hi Sheri,

I just made a small patch to pcre that provides the dll without the
version number. It however, does not change the contents of the dll.
That is, the pcre.dll still doesn't contain the pcreposix functions.

I don't think it makes sense to give this functionality on windows and
not on unix. So, should we provide a mode that combines the pcre and
pcreposix stuff into one dll or so, named pcre.dll or pcre.so?

The other option Philip, is to just say, from now on, the pcre.dll won't
contain the pcreposix functions.

Any opinions?

Thanks,
Bob Rossi