Re: [exim] Logging of local interface for outbound mails

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Tim Jackson
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Logging of local interface for outbound mails
On Sun, 29 Apr 2007, Tim Jackson wrote:

> Is there any way to log which local interface was used for the outbound
> connection, on the "=>" log line? I've been looking in section 49.15 of
> the 4.66 spec for a suitable log selector but I can't find one. There is
> "incoming_interface" and "incoming_port" but, it seems, only the
> corresponding "outgoing_port" and not the expected "outgoing_interface".

"outgoing_port" logs the *remote* port that is used, not the local port.

> I appreciate that where an outbound interface is not explicitly
> specified (e.g. the default configuration), Exim might not be able to
> actively discover the outgoing interface from the OS. However where it
> has been specified explicitly using the "interface" option in a
> transport, it seems to make sense to be able to log that (ideally using
> the "I=" notation to be consistent with incoming connections).

It should be possible to find out what was used, even if the OS chooses
it. However, at present there is no mechanism for passing this
information back from the process that actually makes the connection to
the main delivery process, which is the one that writes the log line. So
it is not just a simple matter of adding an option and extending the log
line. I guess you had better submit this as a Buzilla wishlist item.