Re: [exim] splitting mails

Author: Jethro R Binks
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] splitting mails
On Wed, 18 Apr 2007, Marc Sherman wrote:

> Ronan McGlue wrote:
> > Is there any trick in the book that I could use to take all multiple
> > recipient messages and resubmit them as multiple single recipient
> > messages at the MTA level?
>
> In the RCPT acl, defer all RCPTs past the first (checking $rcpt_count in
> a condition). This causes the sending server to resubmit the message
> later with the next recipient.

This has been suggested before, and ACLs suggested for it.

However, I have often wondered about its reliability? Do most
well-behaved MTAs properly re-transmit only the refused recipients (second
recipient and higher)? Are there cases where an MTA will try and submit
all the recipients again on re-connecting? Is it a big enough problem to
worry about?

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services