Re: [exim] Host IP -> Abuse Address

Author: Lorenzo Marcantonio
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Host IP -> Abuse Address
On Fri, 13 Apr 2007, Marc Perkel wrote:

> Is that any algorithm that one could code in Exim that would take an IP
> address and look up the abuse address for that IP? I'm thinking that
> once I detect paypal phishing I could automatically report it.

IMO that's not possible in the general case... an abuse address is related to a domain name, and the PTR record you could fetch from an IP is... well... usually completely unrelated to the mail one!

That and, of course, an exchanger hub would usually handle traffic from a lot of domains.

As an example, the PTR for my mx is host82-56-static.207-80-b.business.telecomitalia.it.

You could with A LOT of intelligence compute something like abuse@???. But not, it's wrong. The `real' ones are abuse@??? (the carrier provider) and abuse@??? (that's ME :P).

Oh, and do not ever THINK to mail to the abuse address of an italian carrier/service provider since in the best case are rejected (but usually they are just black holes to conform to rfcs :(()

Good luck with your plan!