Re: [exim] Domain Keys

Author: Arthur Hagen
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Domain Keys
On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 19:24 +0200, Magnus Holmgren wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 April 2007 19:00, Arthur Hagen wrote:
> > I guess many people assume that e-mails with the same Message-ID will be
> > treated as the same e-mail on the recipient side, in which case there
> > won't be multiple copies. Which is wrong, but less wrong than not
> > <hint>setting the Reply-To: to where you want your replies</hint>, in
> > this case <exim-users@???>.
>
> I think it's commonly accepted that there are two kinds of replies you can
> make to a list posting: A list reply or followup, and a personal reply. Which
> one does Reply-To refer to?

What's a "list reply"? That's not a standard MUA function, and indeed
none of the MUAs I use have that. Assuming that it exists on the other
end is an error.

> And if someone who is not subscribed posts, with Reply-To set to both the list
> and his own mail address, and I send a reply accordingly, but with Reply-To
> set to the list address alone, you still have to use "Reply to all", in which
> case I *still* get an extra copy.
>
> The fact is: The semantics of Reply-To is ambiguous and there is no good way
> to tell the MUAs of others' whether you want to be CCd.

No, but there's nowhere else to specify the mailing list address, and it
has to be specified *somewhere* if you want replies to hit the list at
all.
When replying to you, I have to change the To: address manually to get
the reply to go to the list and not you. There's no such problems when
replying to e.g. Phil Hazel.
Since the problem appears to be people getting emails to the From:
address when they /haven't/ specified a Reply-To, I would suggest that
starting to use a Reply-To might alleviate their problem.

Oh, and what's the purpose of the GPG signing of your emails, when
there's no way to reliably obtain your public key? That's just wasting
people's bandwidth -- anyone can send an email claiming to be for you
and sign it with a key claiming to be yours.

Other than that, who else here have recently gotten private emails from
a Rohit Sakalle <rohitsakalle@???>, who apparently disregards the
list and sends private-only emails to list users requesting "help",
without it even being a reply to anything (IOW unsolicited requests for
others to do his job for him)? That's kind of rude -- are there any
moderators who can take action?

Regards,
--
*Art