Re: [exim] A Question about "old" versions of exim.

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] A Question about "old" versions of exim.
Phil Bettinson wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> Assuming I can't upgrade to the latest version (because of Policies),
> what's the chance of being able to get some help with some ACL problems
> on this list?
>
> I will understand if the answer is "Slim to none" =).
>
> I am using version of exim 4.43:
>
> Exim version 4.43 #1 built 08-Sep-2005 14:17:48
> Copyright (c) University of Cambridge 2004
> Berkeley DB: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.2.52: (February 22, 2005)
> Support for: iconv() IPv6 PAM Perl TCPwrappers OpenSSL
> Lookups: lsearch wildlsearch nwildlsearch iplsearch cdb dbm dbmnz dnsdb
> dsearch ldap ldapdn ldapm nis nis0 nisplus passwd
> Authenticators: cram_md5 cyrus_sasl plaintext spa
> Routers: accept dnslookup ipliteral manualroute queryprogram redirect
> Transports: appendfile/maildir/mailstore/mbx autoreply lmtp pipe smtp
> Fixed never_users: 0
> Contains exiscan-acl patch revision 28 (c) Tom Kistner
> [http://duncanthrax.net/exiscan/]
> Configuration file is /etc/exim/exim.conf
>

> I have an exim configuration file that did work under exim 4.6 (don't
> ask about the reason for the downgrade. It's long and complicated).
>
> I am currently having problems(and issues) with this spam router:
>
> spam:
>    debug_print = "SPAM ROUTER: quarantine for $local_part@$domain"
>    driver = accept
>    check_local_user
>    verify = false
>    condition = ${if >{$spam_score_int}{20}}
>    transport = spam_delivery

> Here's the transport, if your interested:
>
> spam_delivery:
> driver = appendfile
> directory = /home/$local_part/Mail/.Junk/
> delivery_date_add
> envelope_to_add
> return_path_add
> group = mail
> user = $local_part
> mode = 0660
> no_mode_fail_narrower
> maildir_format
>
> Basically, it's just being delivered to the inbox, and not (as the
> transport should, from my understanding) to the Junk folder.

*SNIP*

You have specified 'maildir_format' then used '~/Mail/.Junk

You might be better served with ~/Maildir/.Junk

We are, anyway: ~/Maildir/.Suspect

> I know the
> value is low, but it's set at a value that seems to work for the mail
> into my system.
>
> I'm also having problems with this ACL, which is *meant* to refuse email
> if it gets a large spam score (I borrowed this ACL off another poster to
> this list, can't remember who).
>
>     # Set at 10, apparently
>     deny  message = Jara23 Rejected this message because it scored
> $spam_score spam points.
>           spam = nobody:true
>           condition = ${if >{$spam_score_int}{100}{1}{0}}

> I've had a few random problems, but I think those are mostly due to the
> version (and I know they've been fixed in later versions). I was just
> wondering if there were people out there that were willing to help with
> work-arounds and fixes.
>
> I will understand if the answer is no =).
>
> Thanks
>
> Phil

Some of our configure files have little or no change from 4.43 thru to 4.6X.

Newer is better, has more features, but the difference is evolutionary - nothing
like as dramatic as 3.X to 4.X. Changes may not affect you.

Your first source is simply the archives on this list, speciifally around the
time 4.43 thru 4.53 were 'current, and all advice and examples are directly
applicable.

Second would be to review the 'CHANGELOG's and make yourself a 'cheat sheet' of
what has changed that might affect YOUR install. Most changes probably will not.

HTH,

Bill