[exim] Slow SMTP

Author: Hill
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Slow SMTP
Hi all

Not sure where to look first .

I am finding that sending mail through my exim box is taking an age and I am
not sure why I will give you a brief explanation of the setup

And some thoughts on what I think (probably incorrectly) might be causing
it.

This is a home setup so there are two of us but we both have 2 domains and
we each have about three accounts on each for different purposes

Work, home, account used to sign up for stuff etc.

I run Ubuntu Debian

I use SA-EXIM which I have not changed much from default and I am using the
monolithic configuration file

I use SSL (port 465) with plain authentication against a separate passwd
file so the mail users do not have system accounts

I use Dovecot for IMAP access and outlook and Outlook express (various
versions have been tried all with the same results)

I am currently running Outlook 2007

Reading mail is fine and works fast

Sending mail however takes a very long time the client will say connecting
... securing .. then eventually the mail will go

This happens both remotely and on the local LAN

I wondered if it was Exim doing a DNS lookup on the client which could be
failing and causing a delay?

If this is possible, how would I turn this off for authenticated clients to
eliminate it

Any suggestions much appreciated

Regards

Hill Ruyter