Re: [exim] Exim 5

Author: Michael Sprague
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim 5
Peter Bowyer wrote:
> On 08/02/07, Zbigniew Szalbot <zbyszek@???> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>>> Which source code management system to use is up to those who are going
>>> to be doing the development in future. I have no experience with anything
>> I am watching the discussion here but do not see much traffic with regard
>> to future development. Can I ask what the plans are for it? Who is going
>> to develop exim once Philips calls it a day? Can we as a community expect
>> some continuity? Will the license change? I guess we are all very
>> interested to learn more.
>
> The 'we' that need to know the answers is the same 'we' that needs to
> decide, and a subset of 'we' needs to do the work - there's no
> backroom committee which will come up with the Future of Exim... as
> yet, there are no such plans.
>
> I'm not sure if this discussion necessarily belongs on exim-users -
> not with any intent to take it behind closed doors, but it doesn't mix
> well with the day-to-day support discussions here. exim-tng perhaps?
>
> Any thoughts, anyone?

You are 100% correct, Peter, that 'we' are the 'we'. But are there
other practical matters too? Such as the primary website and FTP area,
etc? Will those still be hosted where they are currently?

I've been using exim since the mid '90s. Though I'm no developer, I
would love to help out and keep exim alive and well after Philip
retires. I hope there will be an opportunity to contribute if even in a
small way.

A new list may be a good idea. There may be several things to hash out
over the next few months. :)

thanks,
mikeS

--