Re: [exim] address rewriting - removing trailing dot

Author: John Burnham
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] address rewriting - removing trailing dot

> Sometimes people who subscribe to our mailing list enter a
> trailing dot
> (like something@???.). This makes it impossible for
> exim to deliver
> messages to them. What should a rewrite rule look like to strip the
> trailing dot from any address?
>
> Many thanks for suggestions!

I can't remember when this configuration option came in but:

strip_trailing_dot    Use: main    Type: boolean    Default: false

If this option is set, a trailing dot at the end of a domain in an address is
ignored. If this is in the envelope and the message is passed on to another MTA,
the dot is not passed on. If this option is not set, a dot at the end of a
domain causes a syntax error. However, addresses in header lines are checked
only when an ACL requests header syntax checking.

(From http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.66/doc/html/spec_html/ch14.html)

Is that any help ?