Re: [exim] address rewriting - removing trailing dot

Author: Ted Cooper
To: Zbigniew Szalbot
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] address rewriting - removing trailing dot
Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
> Hello again,
>
>> Sometimes people who subscribe to our mailing list enter a trailing dot
>> (like something@???.). This makes it impossible for exim to deliver
>> messages to them. What should a rewrite rule look like to strip the
>> trailing dot from any address?
>
> I tried:
>
> $0. $0 T
>
> but it was not successful. Could someone help? Thank you!

Take exim out of this problem completely. Go into the web page code that
processes the email addresses that people are putting in and only allow
them to insert valid email addresses in the first place.
Use a regular expression or similar (there are plenty out there) to make
sure it's properly formatted and doesn't contain any unsafe characters.
If you really want to make sure that exim will be able to deliver, you
may be able to run exim in test routing mode from the script, but that
might be a little too far.

Ted.