Re: [exim] Users Forward File

Author: Magnus Holmgren
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Users Forward File
On Saturday 03 February 2007 12:40, Joseph wrote:
> I am working on a setup that uses pgsql to reference the users (vexim).

Since vexim includes a lot of special configuration you're in general likely
to get better answers to vexim-specific questions on a vexim-specific mailing
list.

> And in looking at samples I am not able to figure out how I would use a
> .forward file.
>
> I guess I don't understand check_local_user... If that is in the router,
> than it wants to check for a system user, and there won't be system
> users since users are defined in pgsql.

Precisely. The V in "vexim" stands for "virtual", I believe, and although the
use of the term "virtual" is subject to debate, it at least means that the
users are not covered by check_local_user.

> Removing check_local_user, makes it complain:
> "user" or "check_local_user" must be set with "allow_filter"
> Which should be my clue to the problem.

You should set user to the account owning all the files, whether that
is "exim" or "vexim" or something else. Since there is no isolation of users
from each other, you should probably set most forbid options on the router.

> I should be using pgsql to store the .forward contents I expect, but I
> am not sure how to do that either.

Doesn't vexim provide means for managing user filters?

If you store the .forward contents in pgsql instead of an actual .forward
file, you must set the data option instead of the file option. Like so:

userforward:
driver = redirect
data = ${lookup pgsql{SELECT forward FROM users,domains WHERE ...}}
user = vexim

if the "forward" column contains forwarding data. The data must still begin
with "#Exim filter" and a newline. If the field is empty, nothing happens
(the router declines and the next one is tried).

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@???
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)