Re: [exim] DNS MX records

Author: Tony Heal
To: 'Magnus Holmgren', exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] DNS MX records

> On Thursday 25 January 2007 22:51, Tony Heal wrote:
> > 1.    DNS MX records - How can I have 2 email server? I already have a
> > second and third email server set up for mail bagging set at priority 10
> > and 20. Can I set up a forth MX with a priority between the first(5) and
> > second(10) at say 7? Will this cause emails to first go to the primary
> > email server (5) then if a recipient is not found try the second MX
> > record(7)? I am not real sure how all this works.

> No. If you have multiple records with falling priority, other mail servers
> will try them in order and move on to the secondary MX if the primary one is
> down or replies with a temporary error status. "Recipient not found" is
> normally a permanent condition. You could, theoretically, return temporary
> errors from the "wrong" servers for recipients that exist at some other
> server, but that's not how things are supposed to work.

OK, I know enough about exim to be really dangerous. Any idea how I set up exim to relay for only a limited set of
users? i.e. just the 3 or 4 test users to start.

> > 2.    related to the first but a little different. Is there any way on a
> > debian Linux system using a very old version of exim (3.35) to have a
> > system user with no email address, so that I can set myself up on the test
> > email system, or do I have to simply forward my emails.

> I'm not entirely sure what you mean here. Don't you want to test sending mail
> to that user?

Debian the way you ad email users is simply to add a system user and exim automatically adds the email user. I want to
know if it is possible to separate the 2. I will be one of the test users on the new email system and I would rather
remove my email account than forward all emails to the new server.

Tony