[exim] DNS MX records

Author: Tony Heal
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] DNS MX records
I am going to try and stand up a second email server. This server will start
as a test server and then be moved into production. To begin with what I
would like to do is set it up using the same email domain as my current
email server and only have selected users ported over. Here are my problems
with this.

1.    DNS MX records - How can I have 2 email server? I already have a
second and third email server set up for mail bagging set at priority 10 and
20. Can I set up a forth MX with a priority between the first(5) and
second(10) at say 7? Will this cause emails to first go to the primary email
server (5) then if a recipient is not found try the second MX record(7)? I
am not real sure how all this works.
2.    related to the first but a little different. Is there any way on a
debian Linux system using a very old version of exim (3.35) to have a system
user with no email address, so that I can set myself up on the test email
system, or do I have to simply forward my emails.

Thanks

Tony