Re: [exim] Exim SPAM control DNSBL

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim SPAM control DNSBL
Filipe Miranda <filipe.miranda@???> (Fr 12 Jan 2007 00:02:08 CET):
> Hello,
>
> I'm reading the documentation on Exim's websie and I would like for Exim to
> Reject messages from senders listed in this DNSBL :
> blackholes.mail-abuse.org
>
> What would be the correct way to add this to my exim.conf file? (I'm new to
> exim's MTA configuration file)
>
> I added the line bellow just after the begin acl:
> deny dnslists = blackholes.mail-abuse.org
>
> Will that do the trick? or what would be the correct implementation?
>
> Also, what other hints would you recommend to fight SPAM?

DNSBL are a good starting point.
Other points to think about are

    . verification of reverse DNS¹
    . helo verification¹
    . strict sender/recipient verification²
    . greylisting²
    . content scan²
    . delays

Which of these points is appliciable to which extend, heavily depends
on your own feeling, position the phase of moon ;)

We use ¹) for delays in the connection and ²) for refusing the messages.

    Best regards from Dresden
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 Heiko Schlittermann HS12-RIPE -----------------------------------------
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome - key ID: 48D0359B ---------------
 gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B -