Re: [exim] Exim SPAM control DNSBL

Author: Juha Saarinen
To: Filipe Miranda
CC: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim SPAM control DNSBL
On 1/12/07, Filipe Miranda <filipe.miranda@???> wrote:
> Thanks for the hint, I setup the following configuration:
> Just after the begin acl:
> deny dnslists = zen.spamhaus.org
>
> Do I have to define anything else to make this work? (sorry I'm a newbie to
> this exim stuff)
> I read the http://www.exim.org/howto/rbl.html, but I still
> a little bit confused.
>
> Do I have to define:
> warn message = X-blacklisted-at: $dnslist_domain
> dnslists = blackholes.mail-abuse.org : \
> dialup.mail-abuse.org
>
> To make the line bellow work?
> deny dnslists = zen.spamhaus.org
>
> Or the deny dnslists = zen.spamhaus.org is enough to make my MTA check the
> source address are or are not listed in the specified dnslist ?

Let's keep this on the mailing list for others benefit and please
don't top-post and full-quote.

The documentation says it quite clearly that "deny dnslists" rejects
messages listed in the given DNSbl. You may want to add a message as
well though. I have:

deny dnslists = zen.spamhaus.org
message =       $sender_host_address is listed in $dnslist_domain\
                        ${if def:dnslist_text { ($dnslist_text)}}

which produces messages like this one in my reject log:

2007-01-12 12:50:55 H=12-217-16-9.client.mchsi.com [12.217.16.9]
rejected connection in "connect" ACL: 12.217.16.9 is listed in
zen.spamhaus.org (http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=12.217.16.9)

This is sometimes useful if you end up blocking messages you didn't
want to block.

Note that for some applications, it's not a good idea to reject
outright based on DNSbls, but instead to for instance add a certain
spam score if they're in a blacklist.

You should probably read up on this a bit more, especially if you
handle email for other people than yourself.

--
Juha
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/juha