Re: [exim] number of named lists default

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] number of named lists default
Jethro R Binks wrote:

>> Puzzled by that 'no facility' statement.
>>
>> If vi is too much of a PITA, try one of the (many!) other editors.
>> It is 'adjusted' in *BSD the same way as for any other OS:
>>
>> edit ~/Local/Makefile
>>
>> Set MAX_NAMED_LIST = [some integer multiple of 16]
>>
>> 'make install' if first-go, ELSE 'make reinstall'
>>
>> Where's the beef?
>
> I use portinstall/portupgrade, and it does not provide a knob for this
> change.

So do I .... if/as/when the port is 'current', ELSE I am editing ~/src/EDITME
and saving it as ~Local/makefile.

Makes no difference.

That is how you change it in either (any) case.

Once portinstall (OR make install) has been run, subsequent portupgrade or 'make
reinstall' & such leave the setting changes made to Local/Makefile alone, UNLESS
you ask for a new configure step.

> I could install 'the traditional way' I suppose, but then there
> is still no knob provided for those who don't wish to do that.

'portinstall' *does* the 'traditional way', just with a bit more scripting.

Do it both ways and pipe the console messages to a file for each, then compare.

> If Philip feels, and no-one else chimes in to the contrary, that no
> increase to the default is necessary, that's fine. I just wanted to be
> sure the issue was aired and that anyone who had come across it and
> wondered before got a chance to speak up so we know what the common
> feeling is.
>
> Jethro.

I suspect most folks have not run short of list names because many such lists
are not 'named' per se, but rather fixed/expanded/SQL_query/combination path and
file/DB/cdb name/SQL SELECT.

HTH,

Bill