Re: [exim] OT(?): SRS vs. SORBS sending mails with '<>' send…

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: Renaud Allard
CC: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] OT(?): SRS vs. SORBS sending mails with '<>' sender
Hello Renoud,
Renaud Allard <renaud@???> (Fr 05 Jan 2007 23:00:41 CET):

> Heiko Schlittermann wrote:
> > Hello *,
> >
> > what I understand from SRS is:
> >
> > If I use SRS for outgoing messages, bounces to messages I sent should be
> > addressed to SRS-"encoded" recipients, not to real real recipients.
> >
> > Right?
> >
> > No I registered with SORBS, they asked for my mail address to send
> > confirmation request. I discovered that this request was sent with
> > empty sender (thus looking like a bounce). I I'd have SRS in place it
> > would be a problem, wouldn't it?
> >
> > Who is wrong here? Should SORBS use valid non-null sender addresses or
> > should I forget thinking about SRS?
> >

> > [ In case SORBS is wrong - does anybody here know some folks from SORBS
> > to ask for a fix? ]
>
> If you'd ask for a personal advise, SORBS is nothing to be trusted as a
> blacklist.

My personal answer is: I do not use SORBS (except the
dul.dnsbl.sorbs.net). My message was because one of our customers (with
own mailserver) was/is blocked by sorbs and I had to delist it there.
During this procedure I found out what now I'm asking about.

> I personally don't think bounces should be allowed for an address that
> _never_ sends mail or has never sent a mail that require a bounce, while
> they still use that trick to send "legitimate" mails. By definition, a
> bounce is a response to a mail that has been sent from an address, not
> something that should be used as a sender for a fresh new mail. The
> latter just deserves to be blocked or discarded.

Well, so is my own understanding too. Now we're two already ;-)
Who will tell the SORBS people? Or is the fact that they're sending
fresh mails with empty sender some more indication that they understand
mail issues in some other way than you and me?

    Best regards from Dresden
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 Heiko Schlittermann HS12-RIPE -----------------------------------------
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome - key ID: 48D0359B ---------------
 gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B -