Re: [exim] Listening interface:port

Author: John W. Baxter
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Listening interface:port
On 1/3/07 5:27 AM, "Mike Cardwell" <exim-users@???> wrote:

> I was just using port 2000 in the example, it's not how I actually have
> my systems configured. Anyway, it should be 465 for tls_on_connect, not
> 587. :)

Port 465 was never standardized (although it has long been used as if it had
been standardized) for mail submission, and now it HAS been "given" to Cisco
for something entirely different. Ah yes, from
<http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers>:

urd             465/tcp    URL Rendesvous Directory for SSM
igmpv3lite      465/udp    IGMP over UDP for SSM

(Where SSM appears to be Source-Specific Multicast, not SSM Corp, or
Szymanski, Shettler, Morris, or several other possibilities.)

That IANA action, of course, does not reach out and change all the Outlook
Express instances in the world, so Cisco will find their port often used for
mail submission for at least another couple of decades.
--John