[exim] How about an ACL before connecting?

Author: Marc Perkel
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] How about an ACL before connecting?
This would be a great feature unless it's already in there and I missed it.

I'd like an ACL that ran when a host attempts to connect but Exim hasn't
yet established a connection so I can test the IP address against a
black list or rDNS and decide not to connect at all instead od
connecting and returning a code at all.

Why? you might ask? Qmail!

Let's say I'm using Spamcop, a good blacklist, but not quite good enough
to block. If I do a DEFER on normal servers they would retry the next
higher MX. (Sort of fast greylisting). But Qmail won't do that and will
retry forever on the same MX after a defer.

But - if I refuse to connect at all then Qmail will retry on the higher
MX records. This if a server is wrongly blacklisted then when it retries
it will succeed. The idea is that windows infected zombie servers don't
retry.

Also - in the ACL I might want to record the IP that attempted to
connect in a MySQL database to track attempts.

So - if this isn't in there I think I might post it as a feature request.