[exim] Alternatives to sendmail and milter to control SMTP c…

Author: Kelly Jones
To: sendmail-milter-users, exim-users, postfix-users, qmail
New-Topics: Re: [exim] Alternatives to sendmail and milter to control SMTPconnections, Re: [exim] Alternatives to sendmail and milter to control SMTP connections
Subject: [exim] Alternatives to sendmail and milter to control SMTP connections
I have an SMTP server that mostly just accepts mail (sends very little
email out), and I want to write Perl/PHP scripts (not C code!) to
control every step of a remote connection. At each step, I want the
option to tempfail/permfail the email or even drop the connection
entirely. Examples:

Even before the sender says "HELO", I want the ability to return stuff like:

550 You're on an RBL. Go away.
450 Your IP address is already sending me mail. Try again later.
[drop the connection silently w/ no message; prevents DOS attacks]
[do nothing at all; let the sender go to the next step]

After the sender says HELO, I might do:

550 Your HELO is *my* server? I don't think so!
450 HELO doesn't match domain, but if you connect twice more, I'll let you in
250 Hello, [ip address], how's it going?

[in the 2nd case, I'd keep track of the senders HELO/IP combination
somewhere, so I could ok them if they connected twice more]

Same sort of thing after I get "MAIL FROM" (maybe I don't like certain
senders) and each "RCPT TO" (I may graylist certain recipient-sender
combinations).

Finally, I want the ability to call an arbitrary Perl/PHP script after
the DATA is sent (maybe run it through spamassassin)

Basically, I'm looking for an SMTP server w/ lots of "hooks"--
something that works well out of the box, but something I can also
tweak easily if I want.

I don't like the options I have so far:

1. Use sendmail and milter (requires coding in C, ugly macros, and
hard to understand)

2. Write my own SMTP server (don't want to re-invent the wheel, even
though the RFC doesn't seem THAT bad)

What's the best SMTP server for my purposes?

And, yes, I realize some of my examples above are lousy-- I'm looking
for a solid foundation SMTP server to experiment with, not planning to
use on a production system.