Re: [exim] Retry on 550 errors

Author: Chris Lightfoot
To: exim-users
CC: Matthias Waffenschmidt, Martin A. Brooks
Subject: Re: [exim] Retry on 550 errors
On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 02:44:00PM +0000, Philip Hazel wrote:
    [...]

> However, looking at the above, how do you distinguish it from the final
> delivery system reporting with 4xx for some time, and then when it's
> decided that the user isn't going to fix things, changing to 5xx (for
> that user)? I think my general feeling is that changing anything
> involves far too much second-guessing.

Yeah, there's a huge risk of second-guessing; I think this
sort of thing is only appropriate for rare and
well-defined cases that occur at particular sites, rather
than for a general rule that should be forced on
everybody.

But if you wanted a to offer a useful hook for the odd
occasions where this is necessary, how about an optional
string expansion which is given the SMTP reply code and
string and context of the mail being sent, and expands to
either nothing meaning `treat the reply exactly as it says
on the tin', or to a new fake reply code and string which
exim will then use instead of the real one? Obviously it
should also log when such rewriting occurs....

--
``A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in
human history -- with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.''