Re: [exim] Retry on 550 errors

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Chris Lightfoot
CC: exim-users, Matthias Waffenschmidt, Martin A. Brooks
Subject: Re: [exim] Retry on 550 errors
On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, Chris Lightfoot wrote:

> But if you wanted a to offer a useful hook for the odd
> occasions where this is necessary, how about an optional
> string expansion which is given the SMTP reply code and
> string and context of the mail being sent, and expands to
> either nothing meaning `treat the reply exactly as it says
> on the tin', or to a new fake reply code and string which
> exim will then use instead of the real one? Obviously it
> should also log when such rewriting occurs....

While I have provided several (many?) RFC-ignoring options in the past,
this does have a "one-too-far" feel for me. Too dangerously close to
your sig:

> --
> ``A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in
> human history --

But there's nothing to stop anybody from adding this to the wishes in
Bugzilla (if it's not already there). Somebody may pick it up some day.
You never know.