Re: [exim] Retry on 550 errors

Author: Chris Lightfoot
To: Matthias Waffenschmidt
CC: exim-users, Graeme Fowler, Ian Eiloart
Subject: Re: [exim] Retry on 550 errors
On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 01:12:49PM +0100, Matthias Waffenschmidt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 11:59:36AM +0000, Chris Lightfoot wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 11:58:19AM +0000, Ian Eiloart wrote:
> > > --On 6 December 2006 11:28:34 +0000 Chris Lightfoot <chris@???>
> > > wrote:
> >     [...]

> > > No, but nothing is permanent. Eventually, we'll all die when the sun goes
> > > supernova. The difference in our interpretations is in the interpretation
> > > of "permanent".
> >
> > yes. I am using the definition in the RFC; you are making
> > something up according to your preference.
>
> You are not.

Read the bit before the bit you quoted:

|                                      A rule of thumb to determine
|  whether a reply fits into the 4yz or the 5yz category (see below)
|  is that replies are 4yz if they can be successful if repeated
|  without any change in command form or in properties of the sender
|  or receiver (that is, the command is repeated identically and the
|  receiver does not put up a new implementation.)

-- the point about an over-quota error is that it is
reasonable to expect a retry to succeed without action by
either the sender or the administrators at the remote
site. (Note that ``properties of the sender or receiver''
refers to properties of the corresponding SMTP
implementations in that sentence.)

--
``I have a demonstration... but we'll leave it to the end because
I can't really carry on after it, as you will see.''