Re: [exim] Retry on 550 errors

Author: Chris Lightfoot
To: Graeme Fowler
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Retry on 550 errors
On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 11:41:58AM +0000, Graeme Fowler wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 11:02 +0000, Chris Lightfoot wrote:
> > no, it's a temporary error, because a future attempt with
> > the same sender/receiver/data stands a reasonable chance
> > of success without there being any oeprator intervention
> > -- see the description in the RFC.
>
> No remote user, operator, admin etc in their right mind can make the
> assumption that an over-quota condition will be fixed without operator
> invention.

Your definition of `operator' here includes the remote
user whose mailbox is full, but it shouldn't; a situation
which will be corrected in due course by the normal action
of the receiving user reading their mail isn't usefully
described as `requiring operator intervention' in this
context. Under normal circumstances a retry will
(eventually) succeed, because the user will reduce their
disk usage to get back under quota.

--
``As far as I can make out, in the US at least a libertarian is essentially an
anarchist who doesn't like other people.'' (seen on the internet)