Re: [exim] re spamming

Autor: Deepak Kapoor
A: John Robinson
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] re spamming
On 11/20/06, John Robinson <john.robinson@???> wrote:
> On 20/11/2006 17:36, Deepak Kapoor wrote:
> > thanx for replying to my query peter, but the control panel direct
> > admin is showing that the bandwidth is used by the email,
>
> If it says "email" it might still be an issue with the POP or IMAP
> service instead of exim. A bandwidth-heavy situation might be someone
> checking a mailbox very frequently, leaving many messages on the server,
> using POP. (I think.)

what you mean to say that it might be that the user has configured his
outlook express to check his email every 5 sec to check the email
thats why the bandwidth use is increasing, but i have seen that his
bandwidth goes as high as 150 MB in one hour due to email but if you
check the /var/log/exim/mainlog then you'll see thet the user has just
sent five to six emails, can it be that he has sent large attachments,
what is the default attachment max size in exim

> > is it
> > possible that lot email is sent to that particular domain with
> > miscellaneous id which is bounced back that is counted towards the
> > bandwidth
>
> Yes and no. Any traffic will count towards the bandwidth. Exim would be
> logging anything it bounced, so you should already know about it.
>
> Finally, any time exim bounces a message due to a bad address, it's
> probably done so early on in the SMTP conversation, in response to RCPT
> TO: so it's unlikely ever to have received the headers or body, which
> means it will have used <1KB of bandwidth to reject a message.

what you mean here is that even if the mail is bounced back it will be
visible in the main log
m i right