Re: [exim] re spamming

Autor: John Robinson
A: Deepak Kapoor
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] re spamming
On 20/11/2006 17:36, Deepak Kapoor wrote:
> thanx for replying to my query peter, but the control panel direct
> admin is showing that the bandwidth is used by the email,

If it says "email" it might still be an issue with the POP or IMAP
service instead of exim. A bandwidth-heavy situation might be someone
checking a mailbox very frequently, leaving many messages on the server,
using POP. (I think.)

> is it
> possible that lot email is sent to that particular domain with
> miscellaneous id which is bounced back that is counted towards the
> bandwidth

Yes and no. Any traffic will count towards the bandwidth. Exim would be
logging anything it bounced, so you should already know about it.

Finally, any time exim bounces a message due to a bad address, it's
probably done so early on in the SMTP conversation, in response to RCPT
TO: so it's unlikely ever to have received the headers or body, which
means it will have used <1KB of bandwidth to reject a message.

Cheers,

John.