Re: [exim] HELO

Author: Magnus Holmgren
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] HELO
On Friday 10 November 2006 17:49, Patrick Luk took the opportunity to say:
> The emails usually passes but today, just got this. It seems to be an
> intermittent problem.
>
> Anyone knows why emails send to my server rejects? I got this in my exim
> log... What can I do?
>
> 2006-11-10 11:40:49 rejected HELO from [66.201.198.223]: syntactically
> invalid argument(s): Spam filter

It seems 66.201.198.223 said "HELO Spam filter". Needless to say, that wan't
accepted.

> When I do a check at dnsreport.com it gives this...
>
> WARN    Mail server host name in greeting    WARNING: One or more of your
> mailservers is claiming to be a host other than what it really is (the SMTP
> greeting should be a 3-digit code, followed by a space or a dash, then the
> host name). If your mailserver sends out E-mail using this domain in its
> EHLO or HELO, your E-mail might get blocked by anti-spam software. This is
> also a technical violation of RFC821 4.3 (and RFC2821 4.3.1). Note that the
> hostname given in the SMTP greeting should have an A record pointing back
> to the same server. Note that this one test may use a cached DNS record.

> (Removed) claims to be host (Removed) [but that host is at (Removed) (may
> be cached), not (Removed)].

Or a little bit less obfuscated: "123.45.67.89 claims to be host a.example.com
[but that host is at 123.45.67.90, not 123.45.67.89]". Your server says "220
a.example.com ESMTP etc. etc." upon connection, but foo.example.com resolves
to a different IP address than dnsreport.com connected to. That easily
happens if you have a multi-homed host. But it has nothing at all to do with
your first question.

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@???
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)