Re: [exim] Exim has a bad queue handling?

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim has a bad queue handling?
Chris Lightfoot wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 04:16:18PM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 24 Oct 2006, Daniel Tiefnig wrote:
>>

>>>Hmm, how about switching it on in the default config, but not "in exim"?
>>>Just being conservative.
>>
>>That's certainly a possibility. It depends on whether you consider this
>>to be a "bug fix" or not ... that's why I asked for any other opinions
>>on this one - so far nobody has said anything.
>

> Given how often greylisting and defer-all-but-one configs
> are (a) advocated and (b) encountered in the wild, I think
> changing the default (for new installations at least) as
> proposed would be a good idea.

Disagree.

- Whether greylisting itself is common or not *problems caused by encountering*
it are NOT that common.

- i.e. - WHEN greylisting IS encountered it seldom creates the postulated
richochet-until-die situation.

- Greylisting will almost certainly decline in 'percentage' use as a reasonably
good idea that just happens to not deliver quite enough gain to enough
mailadmins for the pain.

Greylisting's stats only look good until you take in the *full* picture of what
the server could/would have done w/o greylisting's aid. Usually the same job.

Ergo, I say don't fix what ain't broke in Exim if greylisting is seen as the
primary causal agent for change.

Now if *other* demonstrable gain can be had from such a change - *after*
subtracting any negatives - then lets put them onto the scales as well.

Bill