Re: [exim] getsockname() fail. Was: Patch to fix fclose() er…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Ward Willats
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] getsockname() fail. Was: Patch to fix fclose() errors?
On Mon, 23 Oct 2006, Ward Willats wrote:

> Now the only error I get on my FreeBSD 5.2 box (once every 1-2 days) is:
>
>    2006-10-23 04:17:19 getsockname() failed: Connection reset by peer

> ...I know this has been discussed here before (in relation to
> connections hammering the server if I recall) but this didn't happen
> with 3.x either (course spam is much worse now too).

I think it's a "spam has got worse" effect. It means that the far end
chopped the connection even before Exim could figure out anything about
it.

> Since I can't seem to take any action to fix it, maybe it doesn't
> belong in the paniclog at all? (Paniclog entries set off all kinds of
> alarm-bells around here, so it would be nice to not have this firing
> off so often).

It's probably there because I assumed that getsockname() shouldn't ever
fail when I wrote the code, long ago. You are probably right in that
this particular failure doesn't belong in paniclog. I'll do something
about that.