Re: [exim] Exim has a bad queue handling?

Author: John Robinson
To: exim-users
CC: Patrick von der Hagen
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim has a bad queue handling?
On 23/10/2006 17:53, Patrick von der Hagen wrote:
[...]
> Imagine you forward messages to a server that applies greylisting. Quite
> a normal setup here. You get a message from A at 0:00 and have to
> forward it to recipient Z on the server applying greylisting. A
> temporary error is received and the greylisting-daemon saves
> (A,Z,YOUR-IP) to its database.
> Exim sets a retry-time, e.g. 15 minutes for recipient Z.
>
> At 0:14 a new mail from a new sender arrives, which is to be forwarded
> to Z. You try it immediately, the greylisting-daemon saves (B,Z,YOUR-IP)
> and your exim updates its retry-database, to have a new retry at 0:29

Ah. Yes, that would be problematical. Again, I'm vague on all this, but
I think that that shouldn't happen; the retry database should continue
to show 0:15. If the retry system worked as you describe, I suspect it
wouldn't just be greylisting which caused problems, but probably every
other error too.

Cheers,

John.