Re: [exim] Sympa and aliasfile?

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Sympa and aliasfile?
Jan Johansson wrote:
> I have been asked to set up a Exim/Sympa server, but for political reasons,
> they do not want custom routers/transports, but rather to utilize the sympa
> generated, sendmail-style alias file.
>
> Can it be utilized within exim in an easy way? (In all cases, the effective
> user should be "sympa:sympa"?

AFAIK, the 'challenge' if you are restricted to only the *system* alias file
comes about if the server hosts more than one (mail) domain.

Otherwise, all-else-being-equal, it should JFW.

NB: *someone* will ordinarily need 'root' privs to get those entries into the
system-alias file and/or alter them if/as/when lists change.

If that is part of the 'political reasons' then custom routers that use a
file/table you control and can grant the exim daemon runner access to is 'safer'.

Once the router/transports are installed & tested, no further access to exim's
config is needed as you set up/tear-down lists.

Bill

(Using Ecartis, with very similar issues, on virtual-hosting MX).