Re: [exim] Exim has a bad queue handling?

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Thomas Hochstein
Para: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [exim] Exim has a bad queue handling?
Jörg Sommer schrieb:

> on a private mailing list, someone raised the claim Exim has a bad queue
> handling and relies on delivering the mail in the first attempt.

I didn't say that Exim's queue handling is "bad". "Not very
sophisticated" would be a better translation of "nicht sehr
ausgefeilt" and be more on the point, I think. :)

That doesn't mean that Exim can't cope with delays - but the longer
the queue gets, the worse the performance you'll get will be.

> Speaking accross the board, is it true that Exim has bad (it need more
> resources) queue handling?

Not bad, but not very sophisticated either. Exim has a single queue,
and each queue runner will try every message in order to check and try
to resend it, when its retry time has been reached. The larger the
queue gets, the longer that will take.

> For Exim on the sender site, is greylisting a problem?

Depends on the amount of mail you have to handle. For small and medium
sites that probably won't become a problem; large sites will have to
cope with problems like that anyway.

There is no need to abandon greylisting, but I think it is a valid
reason to consider greylisting "unfriendly" to the sending sites.

Regards,
-thh