[exim] Proposed change to list moderation handling

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Proposed change to list moderation handling
I am proposing to change the list moderation handling - of course the
people this *won't* affect are those here, since a list subscriber
will not normally get their messages moderated.

Currently each message that gets put in the moderation queue by
mailman generates a moderation message to the moderators (thats
basically just me at the moment). That means I get a personal copy
of each spam that hits the list - not a small number of messages per
day. It also means that, during my online hours (basically UK
working hours) I tend to respond fairly quickly to legitimate
messages that get moderated (very few per day).

I am intending to change this so that I no longer get immediate
moderation notification, or immediate notification of membership
status changes (mostly due to bounces). Instead I will purely work
on the daily status reports (I may change these to twice per day).

At present the majority of my incoming spam load (that avoids the
basic filters) is stuff from mailing list moderations. This is
taking up my time and probably meaning I miss some stuff in the mess.

However the downside of this change is that it may take longer for
non-subscriber messages to get through to the list.

I am not at present planning to move to the far more drastic method
of just bouncing mail from non-subscribers - which would break our
long standing policy of being open to non-member queries.

Comments (to the list) welcome.

    Nigel.