Re: [exim] TLS problem

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] TLS problem
Hill Ruyter wrote:
> Hi
>
> Well I upgraded my Ubuntu last night and although I saved and re-used my original exim4 config
> I now seem to have broken TLS, My client returns a message to say ...
>
> "The server does not support a SSL connection. Account: 'my.domain', Server: 'my.domain', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '250 HELP', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 250, Error Number: 0x800CCC7D"
>
> can anyone think why this would happen without any changes having been made to the config file and it having previously worked
>

> A bit of background info for you
>
> I have the monlithic config file
> and when setting it up previously I had needed to create a file called exim4.conf.localmacros with a line syaing
>
> MAIN_TLS_ENABLE = true
>
> I hope you can help even if someone can tell me how to debug the problem would be cool
>
> Thanks
> Hill

Presuming you compiled with SSL/TLS support, (check that with 'exim -bV')

Dunno anything about Linux conf files or their macros, you may need to 'grep'
for these. The ones with two stars are 'bare minimum', one star is 'depends on
the situation' rest are usually OK with defaults:

14.13 TLS

tls_advertise_hosts    advertise TLS to these hosts **
tls_certificate        location of server certificate **
tls_crl            certificate revocation list
tls_dhparam        DH parameters for server
tls_on_connect_ports    specify SSMTP (SMTPS) ports
tls_privatekey        location of server private key *
tls_remember_esmtp    don’t reset after starting TLS *
tls_require_ciphers    specify acceptable cipers
tls_try_verify_hosts    try to verify client certificate
tls_verify_certificates    expected client certificates
tls_verify_hosts    insist on client certificate verify

See also:

auth_advertise_hosts

For your submission port(s).

HTH,